Everyone has 24 Hours in a Day
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
How many times have you been guilty of saying “I don’t have time for that” or “There is not enough time in my schedule...” or a similar phrase stating that by some freak time-space continuum disruption you have been given fewer minutes in your hour, fewer hours in your day, or fewer days in your year than every other being on earth? Isn’t it true that what you really mean to say is, “I have chosen to spend my time on something else”? What a difference. The truth is, each of us chooses how to spend our time. You might be saying to yourself, “I HAVE to work, or my family doesn’t eat!” The reality is, you CHOOSE to work so your family can eat. It is without doubt that some choices do have some less than desirable options, but for the most part, it is a choice over which you have control. Avoiding the phrase “I don’t have time...,” will soon help you to realize that you do have the time needed for just about anything you choose to accomplish in life.
Not using the “I don’t have time...” statement will also disable those automated responses you give yourself and others, and force you to think of the real reason why you do not want to do something. For example, when the day passes by and I am still in front of the computer, my wife says, “Aren’t you working out today?” Rather than the “I don’t have time today—too busy” response, my thought process goes as follows:
“There is not enough ti.... wait a minute, the fact is I am too busy. Too busy doing what? Do I really have to get this done now? Is what I am doing so urgent that I can’t take a short break to exercise? Wouldn’t I have more energy to do this later if I took a break?”
And what ends up coming out of my mouth is, “Yes... thanks for reminding me!” So not only are the words different, but this will produce different results at times as well.
If someone tells you they don’t have time, ask them to elaborate or turn their answer into a question. Be sure you have a good rapport with the person or you may come across as obnoxious. Helping others to question their sometimes automated responses will often reveal the truth.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)