Sell It To Yourself First
Estimated Lesson Time: 3 minutes
The expression “sell it to yourself” refers to convincing yourself of the benefits of that which you are selling. Everybody is selling something whether it is themselves, an idea, a product or a service. When you are selling something you do not believe in, you are essentially acting, and let’s face it, most of us do not make very good actors.
- Be sold on yourself. How confident are you in your own abilities, talents, and skills? If you were an employer, would you want to hire you? If you were a prospect, would you want to buy from you? Build your self-esteem and self-confidence by taking inventory of yourself. If you feel your inventory list is weak, then take action to improve it. If you do not see the value in yourself, nobody else will either.
- Be sold on success. You must be able to answer the question, “Why should I be successful?” As you know by now, success does not come easily. It is much easier and less risky to ride the carousel of life rather than hop on the roller coaster. Do you desire a better life for you and your loved ones? Do you want to leave this world knowing that you made it a better place? You need to create a burning desire for success.
- Be sold on your career. Your career is your chosen pursuit, profession, or occupation. Is this something you really want to spend the rest of your life doing? Is your career in line with your general life purpose? You must know in your head and heart that at this time in your life, you are going down the right path. When you are sold on your career, you have that deep-down feeling of knowing you are doing exactly what you should be doing. Don’t confuse temporary frustration with doubt; frustration is a temporary and vital part of success; doubt is ongoing and rarely subsides.
- Be sold on your organization. How do you feel about the organization for which you work? Do you believe the organization is a benefit to society? Do you have confidence in the leaders of the organization? If you have any doubts, speak to the leaders and raise your concerns. Very often the lack of information, combined with rumors, causes members of an organization to have negative perceptions of that organization. A few minutes “with the boss” can usually help.
- Be sold on your product. It is especially important for anyone in the field of sales to believe in the product or service that he or she is selling. What are the benefits? Which problems will the product help the customer to solve? Do you believe the prices are fair? What about the quality? As a salesperson, you most likely know your product very well—the good and the bad. There is no such thing as a perfect product. You must believe that your product, although not without its flaws, can be of great benefit to the prospect. Know the flaws of your competitors’ product as well, not so you can bad-mouth them, but so you can have more confidence in your product.
To be successful, before you can sell anything to anybody, you must first be sold on what you are selling yourself. This is a universal truth that many people, in all lines of work, tend to overlook. Confidence comes from belief, and it takes confidence to influence others. Believe in your product, organization, career, success and, most important, believe in yourself.
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)