Inspiration from Michael Dell
Estimated Lesson Time: 2 minutes
Michael Dell (1965–) is founder and CEO of Dell, Inc., the largest personal computer company in the world.
Success is having the entrepreneurial spirit. At age 12, Dell formed a direct marketing company, which offered a national stamp auction through the mail. Four years later, he created a venture for selling newspaper subscriptions through target marketing and bought a BMW with the $18,000 he earned.
Success does not take much money or an ideal environment. Michael founded the Dell Computer Corporation in 1984 with nothing more than $1,000 and an idea that started out of his dorm room.
Success is doing what you are passionate about. Dell went to college intending to become a doctor. Meanwhile, his hobby was working with computers. His hobby won out.
Success is being efficient. Dell, Inc. is now worth billions because Michael saw an opportunity for bypassing the middleman, who adds little value to the products, and sells custom-built PCs directly to end users.
Success is having vision. Dell offered the first toll-free technical support and on-site service in the PC business—services that are now standard practice throughout the industry.
Success is making your mark. With the addition of Dell Computer Corporation to the Fortune 500 in 1992, Dell became the youngest CEO of a company ever to earn a ranking on the Fortune 500.
Success is sharing. Michael Dell has established a number of foundations within his organization committed to philanthropic and community services. These foundations work to advance educational, environmental, business, economic, and social issues.
Success is making opportunity for others. In just 18 years, Dell, Inc. has grown from a one-person operation to a company with 46,000 employees.
Success is being able to show leadership. Mr. Dell has been honored many times for his visionary leadership, including in 2003 being named one of the top-ten most powerful people in business by Fortune magazine.
[Sources: http://www.askmen.com, http://www1.us.dell.com, http://www.biography.com]
Take Your Year To Success To the Next Level
If you like what you are reading, please consider these options in addition to this free course. They include a hardcopy of the book and an intensive course with action steps, assignments, and personal coaching from Bo.
- Buy the Book. Year To Success - Available in hardcover, signed by the author. Also available in ebook, paperback, and audio from Amazon.com.
- Enroll in Bo's Life Mastery Online Course. This is a course that covers hundreds of life-enhancing topics that they never taught in school, but should. This is more than a course on self-improvement; it is a course on mastering life.
- Business Consulting. Schedule your complimentary 15-minute evaluation session with Bo.
Have a podcast or know someone who does? Putting on a conference? Dr. Bennett is available for interviews and public speaking events. Contact him directly here.
Some discussion questions (some may not apply to this lesson):
- Have you implemented this idea in your life? How has it been working for you?
- Do you have any interesting stories related to this lesson? Do tell!
- What do you admire most about this person? (success biography days)